As dawn broke on the morning of June 18th, 55 stalwart volunteers from all over Cobb County gathered in downtown Kennesaw to set up registration tables, water stations, sponsor booths and sound equipment in preparation of the inaugural Garden Gallop 5K Race. Slowly runners trickled in to pick up their numbered race bibs and began their warm-up stretching. The buzz around the Kennesaw First Baptist Church parking lot grew as the Master of Ceremonies, Mike Everhart of Great Gig Dance, made announcements and played upbeat music. The crowd swelled to 467 runners of all ages (some in strollers along with a few canine companions) awaiting the start of the 1 Mile Fun/Run. At precisely 7:30, the Fun/Run began to the cheers of the onlookers. Up Main Street and then back down it to the Depot Park they ran. The winners were Joseph Wenderski-1st Place, JT Cavanaugh-2ndPlace, and Garrett Justice-3rd Place for the men, and Olivia Roberts-1st Place, Taylor Walters-2nd Place, and Megan Justice-3rd Place for the women.
Then came the main event! Operation Bootcamp took over the program with an energizing warm-up for all the 5K racers. They all lined up at the starting line and with the bang of the starting pistol and a whoop of the police siren, they were off! Up Main Street, through Swift-Cantrell Park and back down Main Street to the finish line they galloped to help the Gardens raise much needed funds for our Children’s Programs and capital improvements.
The Tot Trot began in front of the Big Shanty Barbershop on Main Street. A photo finish determined a tie between Ethan Wilson and Peyton Palmer! Hailey Wilson came in 2nd Place with Rylan Palmer right behind winning 3rd Place.
Spectators and runners gathered at the After Party in the Depot Parking lot to get their goodie bags, race shirts and enjoy the treats provided by Fusco’s Via Roma Italian Trattoria and Sweet Tomatoes. The winners were announced, including the Overall Male winner, Victor Madison, and the Overall Female winner, Tracey Rossi. The Male Overall Master was Eric Lowe with the Female Overall Master title going to Susan Breeding. To see all of the race results, please go to zuluracing.com/results/GardenGallop.html.
Please help support all of our sponsors as they did so much to help us! Thanks go to TCPICSonline.com, Andree Crow of Ray D. Rhoades, CPA, Bullfrog’s Restaurant and Bar, Moments N Time Catering, Fusco’s Via Roma Italian Trattoria, Doris and Don Meadows, Doug Davis, and James Daniel, MD for their gracious donations helping us raise over $5000!
We would also like to thank our in-kind sponsors who gave goods and services to make our race such a success! They are AUTOBELL Car Wash, Bright Side Community Newspapers, Big Peach Running Company, Captures by Summer, Fontis Water, Sweet Tomatoes, High Stakes Digital, ATS Graphics, Atlanta Beat Women’s Soccer Team , Georgia Force Arena Football, Mix One, Eaton Chiropractic, Big Shanty Barbershop, and the Legacy Park Homeowners’ Association.
The Garden Gallop photo galleries are on-line and ready for you to view though July 25! The photos are divided into three galleries; Pre Race & 1 Mile; 5k; and Awards & After Party.
Race photos can be viewed in these easy steps:
- Please visit www.CapturesBySummer.com/orders
- You will need to create a user profile. Then click on: To access your gallery, click here.
- For Pre-Race & 1Mile – use access codez: prerace
- 5K photos – use access code: gg5k
- Awards photos – use access code: afterparty
- Each photo is identified by a file number below the photo in the gallery. The file numbers will either start with DSC_ or 5K. If you wish to order photos, we are asking for the following donation amounts:
- $10 for 1 file
- $40 for 5 files
- $75 for 10 files
- To order, we are asking for a tax deductible donation made via Smith-Gilbert Gardens PayPal. Then forward your PayPal receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the file numbers of the photos you would like to have. You will be emailed these files with a print release.
- If you would like to mail a check, please send to: Smith-Gilbert Gardens Foundation, 2382 Pine Mountain Road, Kennesaw, GA 30152. Be sure to include your Name, Phone number, email address and file numbers of the photos you would like to have. You will be emailed these files with a print release.
The 2011 Garden Gallop was the second of six races in the Kennesaw “Grand Prix” 5K Series. More information on the other races is available at www.KennesawGrandPrix.com.